When should I start brushing my child’s teeth??
There are so many myths which are related to the baby’s teeth even in the times of so much advancements and modernisation.
Myth 1: You should not brush baby’s teeth at least till the age of 2 years
Myth 2: Milk teeth are just temporary and do not need to be cleaned often as cavities in the baby teeth do not matter
Myth 3: There is no need to visit a dentist until the kid is a little older
Brushing of the baby’s teeth should start as soon as the first tooth erupts in the baby’s mouth and should never be delayed.
Every tooth that has erupted in the child’s mouth is as important as the next tooth that will be erupting soon or as important as the permanent teeth the kid will eventually have. The milk teeth serve very important purpose for child’s health, speech, confidence and appearance as well. So, it is very important to help the child preserve all of them all through the chidhood.
Why is brushing important for kids?
1. Brushing of kids teeth help prevent cavities which are difficult to treat as the kid might not be co operative.
2. It helps prevent bad breath which might be there due to all the food and the milk that might be accumulating in the child’s mouth.
3. Starting to brush early helps in the developing of the habit and it is not difficult to get the child use to it when he or she grows up.
4. During brushing the parent can easily get to know if there is any cavity which has started to develop as otherwise it might get missed.
5. It also gives a sense of freshness.
How to brush your child’s teeth?
# Chose a kids age appropriate soft toothbrush, you can also start with a silicone finger brush.
# After the age of 6 months you can start using a grain size of kids age appropriate toothpaste till the age of 3 years and a pea size after the age of 3 years.
# Keep your brush at a 45 Degree angle on the gum line of the last teeth and bring the brush downwards, repeat the same for all the teeth and remember to clean both the inside and the outside of the teeth.
# You can also brush in a simple circular motion.
# Remember to brush twice daily for 2 minutes each.
# Change the toothbrush after every 3-4 months
The full set of the permanent teeth will erupt only by the age of 12 years and so it is very important to preserve the baby teeth till then. Do not believe in any myths and start brushing your child’s teeth as soon as the first tooth erupts in the baby’s mouth.