The Global Hand Washing Day !!
Hand hygiene for all!!
The Global hand washing day is celebrated every year in order to spread the importance of hand hygiene. Many people globally might not be even aware about the influence that a simple hand wash can make on their health. And many are not even equipped with the simple things like soap and water to wash their hands and lead a better and a healthy lifestyle.
Hand washing has gained much importance since we have entered the era of COVID-19. How many of us were aware that washing hands for at least 20 seconds is a must? Not many. And while washing for 20 seconds, it appears to be a very long time, which actually isn’t. It is in fact the time spent on maintaining a good health and hygiene.
Good manners like these should be taught to our kids at a much younger age, which helps in getting into a habit as well as helping them to be healthy. Many times we hear parents saying that my kid is just 2 years old and how will he or she be able to do it at such a young age. To them I would say it is easier to teach a kid so young, yes they will take time to master it, but they will listen to what you want to teach them. Do it in front of your kid 3-4 times and after that you will be surprised to see them trying to copy you and learn. The video I am sharing is of my 2 year old daughter who loves washing her hands herself, though not the best but still she does pretty good, and we as parents can definitely help them if they miss something.
Hand washing doesn’t only help in preventing diseases such as COVID-19, but also helps in preventing many other diseases such as a simple dysentery. During teething, baby puts his or her hands in the mouth and if the hands are not washed can lead to a stomach infection. Its important in every aspect of life and not just COVID.
Washing hands include very simple steps:
1. Wet your hands
2. Rub soap
3. Make lather and cover all the surfaces of your hands including in between the fingers, nails, the wrist.
4. Wash for minimum of 20 seconds.
5. Clean under clean running water
6. Dry with a clean towel or let it air dry.
When should you wash your hands??
- Anytime and every time you feel they are dirty
- Before and after you prepare a meal
- Before and after having a meal
- Before and after you have visited a hospital or a patient who is not well
- Have been outside home shopping
- Have been outside home playing any kind of sports
- Have travelled in a public transport
- Have been in a party
- Before taking any medication
- Before touching a new born baby
- After coughing or sneezing
- After using the washroom
- After disposing of the garbage
- After touching your pets
The list is just endless. So, wash your hand when you think you have contacted something that should not go into your system and cause any problem. Make sure to help your kids develop the same habit too. It definitely would help them in future.